Empower Every New Yorker — Without Exception — to Live the Healthiest Life Possible
NYC Health + Hospitals is the largest public health care system in the United States. We provide essential outpatient, inpatient and home-based services to more than one million New Yorkers every year across the city’s five boroughs. Our large health system consists of ambulatory centers, acute care centers, post-acute care/long-term care, rehabilitation programs, Home Care, and Correctional Health Services. Our diverse workforce is uniquely focused on empowering New Yorkers, without exception, to live the healthiest life possible.
Under general supervision of the Director of Labor Relations, participates in the administration of Labor Relations programs of the Health and Hospitals Corporation, including contract negotiations and interpretation, investigation and processing of employee grievances and hospital discipline. Conducts hearings at the Corporate level, participates in arbitration appeals and maintains liaison with employee union representatives and personnel labor relations administrators of local hospitals. Performs related work in public employee labor relations in conduct of union-management activities.
Examples of Typical Tasks:
1. Participates in collective bargaining discussions through direct negotiations with unions on noneconomic demands and, in cooperation with New York City Office of Labor Relations, on matters of an economic nature.
2. Prepares progress reports, develops summaries and reports status of negotiations, including trends, likeliness of impasses and resolution of collective bargaining matters. Assists in preparation of
Corporation’s position before fact-finding impasse panels.
3. Prepares analysis of impact of union demands on hospital operations and prepares rebuttals and strategies to deal with such, including recommendations for management’s counter demands prior to and during negotiations.
4. Interprets contracts and agreements and Labor Relations Orders dealing with wages, hours, working conditions and all other matters within the purview of the agreement affecting labor relations, employee relations and personnel management activities.
5. Investigates and processes employees’ grievances to be handled at the Corporate level, prepares reports and provides recommendations for their resolution.
6. Serves as Hearing Officer for grievances handled at the Corporate level and represents the
Corporation when appealed to City Office of Labor Relations and at arbitration hearings.
7. Meets with Union representatives in Labor-Management meetings to discuss and seek resolution of
Corporation system-wide or local issues. Maintains ongoing liaison with Union and Union
8. Discusses local hospital issues and their resolution with personnel-labor relations management staff.
Maintains routine contact with hospital representatives.
9. Maintains liaison with Office of Labor Relations, Office of Collective Bargaining and other City, State or
Federal agencies relating to various labor relations matters.
10. Performs labor relations research for development of labor-management programs, and for preparation of negotiations, and prepares studies and reports in support of programmatic recommendations and conduct of activities of the Office of Labor Relations.
11. Performs related work.
1. A Baccalaureate Degree from an accredited college with a major in Labor Relations, Personnel Administration, Public Administration, Management, Economics, Law or related field; and,
2. Three years of progressively responsible experience in the field of labor relations including negotiation and administration of agreements of labor relations matters; or,
3. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience, knowledge and skills sufficient to indicate ability to perform satisfactorily.
If you wish to apply for this position, please apply online by clicking the "Apply Now" button.
If applying online, please include your cover letter in the same file attachment with your uploaded resume.